Monday, October 15, 2012

Sweet Honey Rolls

Some people *coughprobablyonlymysiblingscough* may have noticed that I haven't posted a recipe for awhile. School started, I'm busy, lame excuse, lame excuse, lame excuse, but I'm back now. Besides this recipe, there are two others just today, yay! There should be a few more coming soon too, but I don't make any guarantees. For now, let's just focus on this recipe, alright?

I like making breads. They are my favorite things to make. There is no better feeling than pulling out a perfect loaf or a tray of rolls from the oven; I absolutely love it. I have been wanting to do a sweet dessert roll for awhile, but something not cinnamon roll-esque. These sweet honey rolls were the creation I came up with, and I am quite pleased with the results.

Ingredients:

For the rolls:
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast
1 TBS sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup warm milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
3 cups flour (I use 2 cups all-purpose, and 1 cup whole wheat, mix and match as you see fit.)
1 tsp salt

For the glaze:
1/8 cup honey
1 cup powdered sugar
1-4 tsp milk

We are going to start these rolls like all the other breads we have made in the past. Mix the water, yeast, and sugar together and wait for it get nice and foamy. Oh, yeah, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

After the mixture gets nice and foamy, add the rest of wet ingredients into it. The wet ingredients would be the egg, milk, oil, and honey. I have used mango honey, and tangerine honey, but normal regular clover honey will work just fine.

Wet Ingredients.
Set the wet ingredients aside, and mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough until it is nice and smooth. Now comes the waiting game. Put your dough aside and let it rise until double, it will take about an hour. Once your dough has raised, dump it out onto a floured surface.

Ready to Roll.
Roll the dough out into a large circle.

Rolled Out.
Cut the dough into strips, try the strips into cut little knots and place the rolls on a greased cookie sheet.

Ready to Bake.
Place the rolls in your preheated oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes.

While the rolls are baking, it's high time to make the glaze for these beauties. Mix the honey, and powdered sugar together with a whisk.

Honey and Powdered Sugar
Add enough milk to the mixture to form a thin glaze.

Glaze.
Once you take the rolls out of the oven,

Baked Rolls.
Spoon the glaze over the rolls, while they are still warm.

Glazing the rolls.
Ready to Eat.
Serve the rolls while still warm, and dip them in any extra glaze, if you wish.

These are intended as a sweet dessert roll, but I totally wouldn't knock on you having them for breakfast.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. These are the ones you made for game night right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I made them again with my non-stale flour and they were really good.

    ReplyDelete